Construction supervision and performance in the function of an Engineer in accordance with FIDIC Conditions of contract for all the sites of project: “Building of an integrated system of Municipal Solid Waste Treatment Facilities for the waste collected in the territory of Sofia Municipality”
Approx. value of the contract (in current US$ or Euro): 3,990,000 €
Location within country: Sofia Municipality
Municipality of Sofia, Bulgaria
Funding : European Investment Bank (EIB)
Start date (month/year): 08/2011
Completion date (month/year): ongoing
Narrative description of Project:
Metropolitan (Sofia) Municipality, with its administrative centre in the city of Sofia, occupies an area of about 1,342 km2. This area includes 4 towns, 34 villages and 4 municipal districts. The population of the Metropolitan (Sofia) Municipality is estimated at approximately 1.3 million people.
In 2006 the Metropolitan (Sofia) Municipality prepared “Strategy for municipal waste management”. It also contained an action plan for implementation of the future system for household waste management. The future system for household solid waste treatment and disposal consists of three main components (tendered as public works tenders), namely: Mechanical-biological treatment (MBT) plant (410.000 t/a), FIDIC Yellow Book
The proposed process consists of a combination of different phases for separation of recyclable waste and RDF and for the process of composting, following which it is either produced compost for agricultural use or materials suitable for disposal as waste, according to the EU requirements.
- Biogas and composting plant (composting for green waste (24.000 t/a and biogas for biodegradable waste (20.000 t/a)), FIDIC Yellow Book
- Landfill for final disposal
The landfill is located on the “Sadinata” site, which is located approximately 22 km east of Sofia downtown and spreads on an area of about 33.5 ha, FIDIC Yellow Book
Under these public works tender the Contractor performs according to FIDIC procedures the duties of the “Engineer”.
Description of actual services provided by your staff within the assignment:
- Assessment of compliance of investment projects with the essential requirements for construction works
- Design documentation for: Landfill, MBT, Biogas and Composting plant.
- Administrative management of FIDIC contract
- Construction supervision for each of the above facilities
- Providing of activities associated with the Operational Services (selection of operator(s) for the plants)